On November 17, 2021, Jean-Michel Darcis, a 53-year-old Belgian, and Murièle Laporterie, his accomplice of 46 years from Nîmes, acquired the Château de Vendargues, the adjoining chapel and a pair of ha of land positioned within the village of Caissargues. In current months, main works have been carried out to revitalize the spiritual constructing relationship from not less than the twelfth century and the 18th century constructing. If they’ll dwell in these prestigious locations, additionally they plan to arrange several types of occasions there.
Leaving Nîmes on Avenue Pierre-Mendes-France, simply earlier than the roundabout on the chemin des Canaux, you may see the homeowners’ two horses having fun with an enormous paddock. However you must take the filth highway to find the Château de Vendargues.
It was constructed within the 18th centuryand century within the city of Bouillargues. It’s positioned at present within the city of Caissargues since its independence in 1904. Its particularity: it revolves round a fair older chapel (see beneath).
A German anti-aircraft web site throughout WWII
The premises now belong to a French-Belgian couple. She is Murièle Laporterie. At 46 years previous, pure Nîmes, she is the territorial govt of the Division. He’s Jean-Michel Darcis, 53 years previous. In 2017, this Belgian from Hervé, close to Liège, fighter pilot after which optometrist, left every part after the dying of his father, his nation and his occupation, to come back and settle within the area.
Close to the bamboo grove, a marquee for occasions
Jean-Michel Darcis and Murièle Laporterie and their kids will keep within the giant rooms of the fort. However they’re additionally able to host occasions beneath the big marquee that has been put in on a 300 m slab.two close to the bamboo grove. His tasks: live shows, classic automotive rallies, weddings; and many others
Data: 06 33 89 19 98 or email@example.com, www.chateaudevendargues.com
They formally acquired the services, an enormous land of two ha, the fort of 1,200 mtwo and the chapel, subsequently, on November 17, 2021. Due to Michel Basse, elected caissarguais and neighbor of the couple, Murièle Laporterie managed to return in time.
within the eighteenthand century, the property belonged to the Marquise Séguin de Cabassole after which to the Marquise de Clauzonette de Cabassole within the following century. “Through the Second World Conflict, it was the Germans who took the place. They made it an anti-aircraft web site”, says Murièle Laporterie.
a household venture
If they continue to be discreet concerning the worth of the funding, made due to the belief of a Belgian financial institution, we’re speaking about a number of hundred thousand euros to provide again, inside and outside, their former brilliance to those locations that, lately, have it housed, in flip, a non-public faculty after which residences.
It was to hold out the household venture that they fell in love with the fort, completely unimpressed with the imposing work to be carried out. Helped by artisans from his native nation, Jean-Michel Darcis does not rely the hours he works. “Immediately, he stated proudly, all of the work was achieved.”
To see throughout Heritage Days
The facade has been redone. Primarily based on previous postcards, the couple additionally had about fifty ten-foot-tall home windows made as they existed prior to now. Inside, the unique areas have been reconstructed. We uncover huge rooms the place all of the members of this blended household may have their place. The couple plans to host occasions. “We’re guardians of a heritage that’s a part of the historical past of our area”, says Muriel Laporterie. It’ll additionally open its doorways on the seventeenth and 18th of September through the Heritage Days.
The chapel of Saint-Denis additionally renovated
The chapel of Saint-Denis, in Gothic type, is positioned within the Château de Vendargues. It was additionally there a very long time in the past and you will get there by climbing the steps of the imposing staircase positioned within the fort corridor.
The homeowners discovered a number of info that mark the existence of this constructing which has been known as Saint-Denis de Vendargues since 1156. In 1303, Philip IV Le Bel donated the property to his Keeper of the Seals Guillaume de Nogaret to reward him. In 1539, the Bull of Pope Paul III stated that the second archdeacon of the Church of Nîmes “took half of the fruits of Saint-Denis de Vendargues”.
One other spotlight: in 1577, through the spiritual battle, the Protestants of Nîmes discovered refuge contained in the chapel earlier than being hanged from the bushes across the property after the siege of Nîmes by the marshal of Bellegarde.
Murièle Laporterie ensures that the chapel is deconsecrated. Maybe she’s going to start the consecration course of. Maybe she organizes exhibitions and live shows there and suggests it, when the fort grounds host weddings, to the newlyweds to symbolically pronounce their vows.
From the place the place the altar is lacking, the restoration is accomplished, specifically the work on the partitions and the roof that suffered injury brought on by water. The stained glass home windows are eighteen in quantity. Generally, they’re typically properly preserved. An opportunity if you assume the value per mtwo for a renovation is round €2000.